Thursday, February 11, 2010

My gifts

Just wanted to share something that occured to me while working on my homework this morning in Breaking Free. Those exact same things that for years I have felt like God blessed me with - organization, administration, some smarts, words, and even caring about people ARE EXACTLY the things that get me into trouble with pride and judgment and criticism. In working on the homework this first week I was struck by how many kings succumbed to pride. They got confused with God giving THEM things. They thought those things were theirs to keep. And when they kept them they spoiled. Grew rotten. So for me when I think that those things God blessed me with that make me DENA are mine, I turn them into pride and then judgment and criticism. Like when one of the doctors calls me and adds a bunch of things to a growing list that I feel is becoming overwhelming, my pride is damaged because I can't be superwoman - I can't be perfect. And so then I get judgmental and critical and defensive and anxious. God didn't give me those things because I earned them or because He likes me more. HE GAVE THEM TO ME SO HE COULD SHINE A LIGHT THROUGH THAT CRACKED CLAY POT!!!! They don't define me - THEY DEFINE HIM AND THEY WILL ALWAYS BE ENOUGH. I need to give those things back to Him so He can redeem them to His glory. Father God, forgive me for being so selfish with things you have given me and are doing in me.

1 comment:

Susanz Place said...

there is such a blurred thin line between walking in our gifts in the spirit and walking in our gifts in the flesh. I so get what you are saying. I remember years ago I did a study on what gifts look like in the spirit verses the flesh. Boy did I learn alot about myself and others. Example With the gift of discernment I will always struggle with critisism and judgement. When the Lord allows you to see the bigger God picture I have a choice do I praise Him that I can be a source of prayer walking in wisdom from that point on or do I now use that info to be critical. O how the battle rages. A friend of mine was talking about the gift of tongues and how if she is not careful she will use it as laziness in prayer instead of really having fervent prayes for something. I think you get the picture....so yes all of that to say these are the forever battles of our flesh trying to take control of what our gracious Lord Jesus has gifted us with.

When I looked outside at the 68 degree sunny weather it made me think of you and all that crazy snow - i shot up a prayer your way and was very thankful i'm here in sunny Cali - (hee-hee) not mean spirited just coo kee humor!

keep chasing righteousness!!!!