Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Random thoughts

- We are getting hammered by snow. These are pictures from the first storm and we are in the midst of getting another 10 inches. Then we get a reprieve until the end of the weekend before another storm hits.









- I've had some remarkable email exchanges with Bob over the last few days. One followed an update email I got from Truth for Life. It specifically talked about reaching unbelievers with the Truth - sound doctrinal teaching. And I thought a lot about the disunity that I've experienced in the last 2 years. Some of it caused me pain because there were those at ICC that criticized churches that teach as "information without transformation." It made my history of relationship with Jesus feel insufficient and I did a lot of second guessing in the last few years. HOWEVER, I am realizing now that this is just one of the tools that Satan uses to create dissonance. It's subtle but really destructive. The churches that I've been part of ALL believed that they were reaching the unsaved - some used service and others used the Word of God. The churches that I have been part of ALL believed that the Holy Spirit was at work - but He works in MANY different ways. One church emphasized one thing, another a different thing and both churches contained folks that criticized the methodology of the others. That criticism is not from God on either side. There is no room for it. I don't think anyone or any church has a lock on the balance that God seeks for the church right now. Equal parts saving the lost and growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ with a good dose of worshipful praise and in depth analysis of the Word of Truth. I wish I would have had this kind of objective view of this while I was experiencing it. Would have prevented my disappointment and disillusionment. But He's teaching me and I'm grasping a little at a time.
- Another email was clarification of the David and Bathsheba story which was kind of funny. He read a part wrong (although I can understand why he thought it) and thought Bathsheba's mom was involved too. The story is dycfunctional enough :)!

- Our Beth Moore study, Breaking Free started last week. I read a post a few moments ago from my friend at Susanz Place (see blog to the left) that reinforces that what I've been feeling like God wants to work on me about is my judgmental and critical spirit. Oddly that isn't the source. It's the expectations I have of people and how they devolve into criticism. Ugh and ouch. I so don't want to be that person anymore and the only I hope I have is Jesus Christ. Pretty big rock to stand on. My hope is big - which is good because so is my problem.

1 comment:

Susanz Place said...

AMEN SISTA!!
may we both choose this week to live love and only have expectations on the enormity of who God is in our circumstances. Expectations on ourselves to yeild our hearts in confession and praise before a Holy God. And then next week let's do it AGAIN!!!!

keep chasing righteousness!!

may you enjoy your snowed in days - soon you will have the heat of the summer with crazy humidity uugghh!!!