Monday, July 28, 2008

A Weekend to Remember

As usual, I packed it all into one day. So here goes:

- I went to visit Nana. She was not good. And I didn't expect her to be any better. We talked. She even talked. Barely a whisper but she talked. When Aunt Becky and Uncle Dave got there she said, "It's so strange - dying." It was so sad hearing her say that. I know where she's going and I know she knows too. And God is going to do it in His perfect time - even though we don't understand why it's been so slow. So in my head it seemed like I shouldn't be sad. But Sunday I was feeling ridiculously sensitive and needy and it was because I'm so sad to see her slipping away.

- On my way south I stopped at a plant and vegetable stand. Delicious red tomatos, corn, blueberries. Yum. Beginning to change gears.

- Then I was off to Caralyn Reid's house to spend the afternoon with her and Ame Matuza. Wow. I can't even describe it. I walked into the home of a woman I hadn't seen in 19-20 years and felt at home. And Ame showed up and we sat around for 4 hours and talked like we had just gotten together for dinner just last week. Story after story. Ame's an amazing story teller - Twinkie and the "tit-mobile" at her monumental Breast Cancer Walk. And with a yearbook open stories present and past about those we graduated with. It was fantastic.

- Then dinner at Mom and Dad's.

Crammed in, eh? Sad, wonderful, and full of joy.

No comments: