Saturday, July 5, 2008

Overwhelmed by the past - in a good way

It's the middle of the night and my head is swimming with nostalgia from yesterday's journey through time. So I'm going to do some purging and try and lay back down so I get some rest for Part 2 of the 60/40 weekend!

- The house - It was overwhelming in so many ways. It's so amazing how "the woods" have grown in 20 years. Trees that were once seedlings have become trees of significance. Cleared areas are dark with growth. Time has moved on. And where once was a house that was loved and cared for is just a crumbling shell of its former glory. The memories were still there but little of the physical shell has been kept up at all. In an attempt to prevent myself from being judgemental I'll just say that loving that house to my parents meant taking care of it and the owners since that time have a different perspective.

As I walked up that driveway though, there was a moment when I was back there, making that walk up and down that driveway each day. Just around the bend from the stream as you look up to the hill - that's where it hit me that the thing we once griped about was the very same thing that I was loving at that very moment.

- The VanSnicks - I can't even express the joy in seeing them after 20 odd years and reliving some of the memories of growing up on Mamont Road. They were special folks then and they remain so now. And as Emily said, we grew up in their yard and house nearly as much as our own and their children are such a part of our past. And they are still living there and their grandchildren come to the house and are tasting the same elements of our childhood that we did - the stream, the vine, the woods. We could have spent hours reminiscing. We hugged when we arrived and we hugged when we left. These two people were special in our lives that in many ways seems surprising. Funny how 20 years built a love there that we might never have guessed. I suspect that mom and dad are feeling that way today too.

Mr. VanSnick turned 70 this year. Whoa. Still both of them look awesome but whoa. Robert is a VP CPA and Ellen a Phd in Ecology. Again whoa.

- The other places - Some have not changed at all. The high school for example. For all the years and growth, some things about it are just the same. That felt good. I like that some things didn't change. It was comforting.

- Gateway Drive - You know I don't ever think I recall seeing that house! How is that possible?

- Delmont - It's a cute little historic looking town. Who knew?

- Murrysville - You know 20 years of change has cycled parts back so that it doesn't look as different as it did even 10 years ago..... Or maybe it's me.

- King's - It was a fitting end for dinner and a great big sundae. Like we used to get at the one in Plum after church.

Purged for now. Now there is less in my brain to be shaking my head awake. I'll be posting photos with this later.

PS - The kids were all asleep somewhere before 11pm. It took awhile and some scolding but they were just needing to lie still for a few minutes to get there..... I probably have about 90 -120 minutes before they are back up...... :)

No comments: