Friday, June 20, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!

Last Saturday was the big 3-8 for me. And amazingly, I still love my birthday. I'll admit that the reason that I love it is that it's the only time of year that it's okay for IT to be about me without guilt. And it was a pretty stellar weekend.

Friday night, our friend Michael came over and cooked us steaks on the grill. And I'm not talking cooked like I would cook. First of all, he waited on both of us - this I did not know what to do with..... He marinated the steak in brown sugar and cinammon - I was skeptical - and wrapped it in bacon. It was superb. Corn on the cob and garlic bread - whereupon I abandoned the carb free life for one fleeting evening. And watermelon. The guy can cut a watermelon like no one I've seen. Anyway - it was fun and I felt special.

Saturday, I finished up the really hard stuff on the garden and then Marianne came over and we just spent the whole rainy afternoon catching up. Bob, Marianne and Dena spent a few hours sitting back in wonder at the year that has been and how the glory belongs to the only Wise god Our Savior. It gives me a shiver what He's done and what He's got planned. And I smiled as I got up and left the room and Bob and Marianne continued to talk about the great things He has done. Only by His grace in answering prayers.

For dinner, I REALLY let go of the rules for eating and we ordered enormo-nachos for dinner. That was my request.

Then Sunday, Mom and Dad came down and spent Father's Day with us. It was awesome. They got to hear Bob and I play in the ICC Worship Band and then listen to Perry Noble preach the message. It was an awesome service and man is HE WILD!!! I was a little bit surprised that Mom and Dad seemed to enjoy it so much - but I love it. And I love that we can share this with them free of judgement or criticism. Again - God. We came home and spent the afternoon talking and swimming and laughing and eating. Uncle Funcle Bill came for a little while too. And know what? Mom got on a raft and ---- are ya ready? ---- she relaxed and just drifted in that raft for longer than I've ever seen her sit. And I got to hug my Daddy on Father's Day.

And that's why I believe in Jesus. My life is so awesomely overflowing with blessings that it doesn't even make sense. 20 years ago, I was making everyone in my family miserable and now I have a life I wouldn't trade with anyone. Thank you, Father.

No comments: