Sunday, March 16, 2008

Memories from Nana

What did you want to be when you grew up?
A nurse - always a nurse. I did tell my mother that I wanted a baby - even if I never had a husband, I wanted a baby. I made her really mad.

What was your least favorite chore growing up?
Oh - I don't know. We did all the cleaning every week. We washed baseboards and the stairs and all the chairs every week. And it never did seem clean. We had to clean the corner cupboard every week take everything out and wash it down.

What was you favorite memory of ......
Popi - Had to be how he proposed. He came over and Mildred and I were reading the paper on the kitchen floor. He said, "How would you feel about going to California?" I said, "Well, I can't do THAT. We aren't married." And he said, "Well I thought we would do that." Not exactly a romantic huh? No never that. Except one time after he got sick. One time he took my face in his hands and told me he loved me. That was special.

Daddy - Oh, you know your Dad. Always argumentative. He used to give me such a hard time when I asked him to do something and then he'd do it anyway. And your Aunt Becky, she'd say yes, yes, yes and do what she wanted. What about a memory - even something bad I can use:)? Oh the one weekend we went to visit him at college, he'd been out carousing the night before. I knew he was doing it but I was so mad at him because I just didn't want to see it. He ruined the whole weekend. But he's been so loving in these last few days. He spends time with me, talking, helping me eat. He's very affectionate. I kept telling him he doesn't have to come up for so long but I know it's because he loves me.

Do you remember when you first found out that you were going to be a grandmother? Oh sure, but I remember how you made Gary miss his own graduation. You came early or late and he didn't get to go but I was with Diane.

I remember when they decided that Diane was going to move out to be with your Dad at school. I knew what was going to happen so I told them they better get married.

What was the best thing you ever did?
Having my kids

What was the worst thing you ever did - I know you aren't going to answer this:).
Well, sometimes I smoked. When we were out places or at parties sometimes. At work when I was on the OB unit, they used to have hour after checks after the babies were born and everyone would go outside and have a cigarette after that. And if you didn't go, you got stuck with all the work! So I went. But when I quit, I never did it again.

What is the secret to life?
God - I think He's the only thing. And love each other - just love each other as much as you can. Because that is what matters when there isn't anything else.

1 comment:

corianderseed said...

I can hear her voice and see her face, not as it was as she struggled this weekend, but as she would have every other day of her life. I will miss her!