Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Office Greenhouse Continued!!

Little more than 2 years ago, Bob and I came home from Hawaii and I was enamored with all things Hawaiian. I had heard once that if you lopped off the green of the pineapple, you could root it in dirt and start a plant of your own. So I did it. I think I tried one by throwing it into a big pot and when it rooted, I was surprised. I THINK this was start number two. Then I did some brief reading. Seems it takes like 3 years to get fruit to grow and the soil needs to have certain minerals, blah, blah, blah. I wasn't going to fuss. I potted it and repotted it and took it to work. I figured as long as it continued to sprout new leaves in the center I was good. Then Monday, I glanced over and WHAT DID MY WONDERING EYES TO SEE!!!! A colorful bloom popping up in the center!!!!!!!!!! I can barely contain myself!! I am so excited!! I am hoping that this blossom turns fruity!!! I'll keep taking care of it the way I was before. Pruning and watering and that's about it. And I'll keep you updated. A pineapple plant in winter. In Pennsylvania. Who'da thunk it??

No comments: