Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fireproof




Bob and I went to see Fireproof this afternoon. I was excited that he even was willing to go and elated that before he even saw it he wanted to buy The Love Dare book. He's come a long way in a year but I wasn't sure about what he'd think about an openly Christian movie. He agreed even when we thought we'd have to go way out of his radius to see it at the Waterfront. Then he agreed when it was closer but in the middle of college football afternoon game times.

I loved it. The acting wasn't stellar all around but it was very well done. But what held me was the reality of the situation. Things didn't happen just like that for Bob and I three years ago but there were eerie similarities. Divine similarities in how it all wrapped up in a renewed love only possible through reflecting of the same unconditional love that Christ bestows on us. I laughed and I cried. And I watched in wonder, having listened to several radio shows this week explaining how they filmed it with a budget of $100k and one camera and no paid actors.

We walked out of there and Bob said - hold on - "That was awesome." I think we're both processing it tonight. Things with us are better than they have ever been - but they can be better. They'll always be like that until we can love with that agape love that Christ loves us with. Even when we're unlovable. Even when we're pathetic and selfish and dead wrong. I don't know how people do it without God. How they manage crises in life and marriage and family without Him.

It was a risky film to make. And I pray it draws an enormous crowd this weekend - bringing thousands to consider this love that Christ offers not just as a "crutch" as Caleb first calls it - but as a real and practical way of living life and loving each other - one day at a time. And I hope they make more and more and more films like this....... God is clearly at work.

No comments: