Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Step by Step

Bob and I are taking on a few big adventures this summer. The worship leading has already begun and while it is fun it is a big responsibility - one that both of us take very seriously. In addition, we agreed to lead a Bible Study this summer.





Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. We got the books and met with the pastors about small group leading last Sunday. This week I've started to look it over. When Tommy mentioned it, he said it would be lifechanging and even the small part I've read already has been great.


Here's what I've been getting already:

Staying in God's will is sometimes about listening to what He tells us to do one step at a time. I've been reminded so many times that it is truly a marathon - not a sprint. Here's a few examples of stories that have already reinforced the idea that this is how you Experience God:



- Elijah was told to go to hide. God didn't say much about the exact hows and whys - He just said go and I will provide. One step at a time.



- Abraham was told to go. Not exactly told where - just that he should obey and would be blessed.



- Moses - again with the go. Go out from Egypt. No street by street TOM-TOM directions.



And mostly that's what I want God to do - give me the whole 5Ws. But if I listen to Him on all the little things, I'll find myself smack dab in the middle of His will. And obedient. And happy. And not worrying - because who can worry when you are looking at your next step. You don't have time to panic about the giant valleys that might be coming.



There was a time in my life when I ABSOLUTELY lived by this. Life was crazy and sad and unstable. I didn't know if my marriage was going to make it and looking ahead was terrifying. I was coming back from the gym on a Saturday morning. I had walked the short way because it was so pretty out and was trying a different way back. I had to climb up this big hill and as I climbed with the loose dirt and tall grass, all I could do was concentrate on one foot at a time. One step and then the other. If I had looked up, I might have gotten overconfident. If I had looked down, nervous. Even side to side would have lost the focus. I just needed to look at my feet and stay focused. And like a whisper, I knew that the Spirit was teaching me. I needed to stop worrying about the past and the future and just focus on God - on the getting through the next minute.



And now years later, I am learning that He wants me to do that not just during the hard times, but ALL THE TIME. This is the path to the hope and peace that I am desperately seeking. If I learn to do this, I know He'll give me the cue to sometimes turn around and sit down on that hill and enjoy the view - without the worry and without the stress and the overconfidence. Because I bet when I am able to look out from the place where my steps have been led, I will see that I have been walking in the beautiful path of His Grace all along!

No comments: