Friday, April 11, 2008

A blast from the past

The other night I got the strangest call. One of the teachers I had taught with from Berryhill in North Carolina called me. She called to pick my brain about the careers that I had before and after teaching. I talked to her for a good long time. It brought back memories of how absolutely miserable I was while teaching because she is just as absolutely frustrated with her career now as I was back then - probably more. I let her know how much happier I am now than before and I encouraged her to see what else is out there for her. I'm confident having been a teacher if you can do that - you are skilled to do most any kind of multi-tasking private sector job. Lots of things require that kind of coordination and organization. Maybe a break from teaching would lead her back to the job - maybe not.

I got off the phone and from the moment I got off, I was kicking myself. God never does anything by coincidence. And in those 45 minutes or so on the phone, I had never shared the one reason that my life is better. Maybe it was fear, maybe I was kicked back to that time in my life when I was only at shouting distance from God's power in my life. Regardless of the reason, I felt compelled to let her know the true reason for my life's dramatic improvement - the power and the peace that only Jesus Christ can bring. So the next morning, I wrote an email. I'm sorry to say that it bounced back to me unable to be delivered. I tried again several times to an altered email address and even just tried to resend to the same one a few moments before starting this post. I hope it goes through. But if it doesn't, I have learned a great lesson. God never does anything by coincidence and I have an opportunity. I'm going to take it and step out there.

No comments: