Thursday, March 24, 2011

Some thinking

I've been inundated in the last few months with the concept of salvation - when it happens, how it happens, how we can tell if it has happened. Seems like everywhere I turn another source is showing me a different facet - something I hadn't thought about, a question I had never considered. These are things that I have always thought were black and white. I might have run from these discussions at an earlier time - fearful or insecure that someone might shake my resolve. But I've been finding that God has graciously given me a peace about approaching the discussions and even about the unresolved questions they bring up.

Perhaps you have heard about the New York Times Best Seller, Radical, by David Platt, pastor of a large church in Birmingham, Alabama. Last week our small group hit chapter seven where he suggests that there are a billion people who have never heard of the name of Jesus and these people are condemned to hell if we don't do obediently answer the call of the Great Commission. Platt suggests that many of us don't actively believe in universalism but we act like we do when we ignore that millions of people haven't heard the gospel.

Then I read something about this new book - not even released yet - by Rob Bell, pastor of a Michigan megachurch, called Love Wins. Early reviews of the book have brought a firestorm of criticism about his views on universalism. From the reviews, it appears he questions the consequences of a life lived in denial of Jesus Christ. That not as many are going to hell as we think.

As one of my earlier posts eluded to, I don't love having my long held beliefs shaken or even challenged. Seems the older I get, the more God places those situations in my path. Strangely, the Holy Spirit has been giving me a calm in inquiring, pondering and discovering. I've thought a lot about this over the last several months. I seem to have reached a point in reading about theologies where I don't need to agree with them to garner nuggets of usefulness for my spiritual journey.

Is it naive to feel that God is giving me a peace in NOT knowing the answer? Is it in humility that I am accepting these things or ignorance? I think this is a growing maturity - peace in fleshing out the details and feeling confident in the God I serve to allow those other perspectives in and in the end finding that I trust in Him enough to not know the answer.

One thing I know for certain, is that I don't want myself so wrapped up in holding on tightly to beliefs I've always known that I'm afraid for them to be tested. For years I lived there and I had a faith that I couldn't share as easily. God is bigger than that and He can handle the scrutiny. That is something I can't help but share.




No comments: