Monday, January 24, 2011

The Real Church

It seems that wherever I am, I keep hearing conversations, messages or dialogue that center around what the church was designed by God to be versus what it has been made into by man. Last week I listened to some teaching that the Greek word for church used in the New Testament was the word EKKLESIA – translated church, but more accurately translated congregation.

And there you have it. Somewhere along the way, we humans made church into a building or a series of rituals or any number of other things. But it appears that all along the church was supposed to be a who rather than a what.

That has been a progression for me as an individual, which is likely why it strikes such a chord. As a young Christian, it was much easier to put the “what” of church in a box. It could be put away Sunday afternoon and pulled out of its box on various weekdays to take part in my life as I desired. Something I did because I knew I should because it made my life better and something I could check off on a list.

But who changes everything. Congregations are people. And being part of a living, breathing organism must change who I am. It makes me accountable. It motivates me to grow and share and build. Memorial Park Church is that kind of church - people who make up the family of God with a common love for Jesus. Not a building or a place or even limited to people you see on Sunday morning but a living, changing, growing group of people bound by love and sharing it with everyone possible . I know it’s been said before but changes like this seem big and exciting and remind me that when our God moves in ways this big, grab hold of something because it’s going to be a wild ride. I simply cannot wait to see what is next for His People – His Church…….

1 comment:

Susanz Place said...

Welcome Back - ok so you've been back and I've been gone but still welcome back!!!! WOW looks like i have some reading to do here on your blog. can't wait to read all God has been doing in your life. Much blessings to you girl