Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lights out - Uh-huh

Bob and I aren't exactly avid hockey fans. We are fairweather at best. I recall a time in my life when Nikki Washburn and I were avid fans - for me mostly because Craig Simpson was cute and so was the majority of our high school hockey team. I was SOOO NOT into hockey that I waited after a game to have Craig Simpson sign my jersey. The up side was that I was briefly seen on Evening Magazine with Simpson signing my back. The down side is that I missed (read didn't care) to have the less attractive Mario Lemeuix sign it who walked out just behind him. Big mistake in hindsight. Who's ever heard of Craig Siompson 20 years later?

Later in life I watched a few games and kept track because my neighbors Chuck and Marrene Meckler were big fans.

When Bob's friend and ICC worship leader, Brandon, started talking about the winning ways of the Pens this season, Bob caught a little bit of the fever. And since about mid-April, Bob has paid attention. And since the Penguins were pitted against the Philadelphia Flyers in the playoffs, hometown of my boss/radiologist, I caught the competitive fever too.

So we've been watching. And last night was the third game of the Stanley Cup Finals back here in town. 0-2 we were crossing our fingers because hey - it's the 'Burgh. It was awesome to watch the players make a break in the first period and score against a seasoned and skilled team like the Detroit Red Wings. The second period had just begun and they were on a roll.......

Lights out. We lost power. For two hours. The whole rest of the game.

And today we woke up to news that they had won. The third period possibly one of the best in hockey history.

I guess we were just not meant to be avid fans.

We'll try again on Saturday night:)

No comments: