Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Sad Day at the Masterino Aquarium

The Masterino household has just exercised its right to enact capital punishment. To quote Bob, "the fish swims with the fishes."

For the last two months we had only one fish. We started with three. Two mollies and one beast. PetSmart was not smart. Mollies are nice fishes and leporinus fasciatus are, well - cannibals. Our fish went from a colorful inch long bullet to a three inch barbarian killing and eating the other two. Uck.

Tonight when I picked up filters, I thought I would give our little aquarium another occupant that fell into the "semi-aggressive" category - a pretty golden gourami that equals or exceeds "Barrabus" in size.

Poppy-kosh. Semi-aggressive my behind. The new fish was in the tank for 10 minutes when it was clear there would be no peace in our time. Barrabus was still a beast in stripes and this other fish was going to be eaten alive.

Bob was the first to suggest euthanasia. I was not enthused. So we let them swim for another few hours. Things did not improve. At all. My stress level was on the rise.

I got mad. It was going to be over before tomorrow if we didn't do something about it.

So. 20 minutes later with water and plastic plants in aquatic chaos, Barrabus met the net and then the throne of death. At first I was hesitant - then I was angry and just made a mess. Bob did the deed and I started clean up.

So now, Barrabus sleeps with the fishes and the doo-doo and will meet the professionals of the MTSA - McCandless Township Sewage Authority. And JF - Jesus Fish - is swimming peacefully in replanted plastic plants and clouds of raked up poo.

Ain't nature grand.

No comments: